Autism is a developmental neurological spectrum disorder that affects 1 out of 68 individuals. Autism is characterized by difficulties in social interaction, verbal and nonverbal communication and repetitive behaviors.
· Autism affects socialization, communication, and the way a person perceives the world around them.
· Some people diagnosed with autism have a very difficult time interacting with others and prefer to be alone.
· They may exhibit several mannerisms; such as rocking, finger flicking, hand slapping, inappropriate screaming, crying and laughing.
· Autism also affects sensory integration. Loud noises, bright lights, certain foods, and certain textures of clothing are not tolerated by some individuals diagnosed with Autism.
· Autism is a lifelong developmental disability that affects males in a 4 to 1 ratio. The cause is not known and up to now, there is no known cure.